Child casualties of magnets TikTok trend
In recent weeks there have been numerous media reports of older children swallowing magnets after mimicking TikTok tongue piercing challenges or younger children swallowing magnets from jewellery or toys.
Shockingly, some magnets sold on online marketplaces can be up to ten times stronger than the law allows.
These super strong magnets attract to each other in the gut and cause the tissue to die, wreaking serious and lasting internal damage.
The Child Accident Prevention Trust have partnered with the Office for Product Safety and Standards and the British Association of Paediatric Surgeons to bring you advice and resources to share with families.
On the new CAPT magnets hub you’ll find:
If you’re pushed for time, simply share thier posts on Facebook and Twitter so that colleagues or parents who follow you will know about the dangers.
Thank you for helping to make families aware of the dangers of these small but powerful magnets.
We greatly appreciate your support.